This should be an important part of everyone’s life. There have been countless struggles for everyone to be granted the right to vote. Since you have this right, use it.
Research to do before a national election
Though, this will differ from country to country, South Africa has a general election as part of their parliamentary system. Your choice is personal and political views can soon lead to heated discussions.
Some of the parties represented in parliament in South Africa include:
- African National Congress
- Congress of the People
- Democratic Alliance
- Economic Freedom Fighters
Choosing which party to consider can require mass amounts of research. Keep in mind the actions that parties have taken to make the lives of people in South Africa better. I.e. Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment or B-BBEE in South Africa. B-BBEE was put in place by the ANC to rectify discrepancies of the past in the workplaces across South Africa.
The things to keep in mind when voting for anything
- Ask yourself what you want from your life and future in the community, society or country you live in. The most important step is determining how you truly feel about issues that directly impact you and your future as a member of that community, society or country.
- Read and/or watch the news every day. Not just one TV channel, newspaper or online forum : as many as you can so that you have a good understanding of your options so you put your vote to good use.
- Do not remain silent, talk to people. Listen to different points of views that give you more knowledge so you can make an informed decision. Don’t be afraid to talk about it with your friends.
- Do not throw your vote away. Not voting may be a choice but when people died to honour you with that right you should try and get to the voting poll, if only as a sign of respect.
Be sure to have all the information to make a decision based on the future you want for you and your country. If you have trouble understanding certain policies there are always experts in the field to help.